Frequently Asked Questions

Work Permit:

LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) is a document issued by ESDC department to Canadian employers wishing to hire foreign workers.

PGWP (Post Graduation Work Permit) is a work permit issued to international students successfully graduating from a community college in Canada.

Broadly there are two types of work permits, Open Work Permit and an Employer-Specific Work Permit.

Open Work Permit allows you to work of any eligible employer in Canada except for employers who regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages. An Employer-Specific Work Permit is a condition based work permit in which you can work with a specific employer with a specific length of tenure and at a particular employer location.

Under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP), Canadian families in the need of caregiver for their children, seniors or persons with certified medical needs can hire a foreign worker as in-home caregiver or Nanny, when a Canadian worker is not available for the job.

This program is divided into two major categories:

  1. Caregivers for children
  2. Caregivers for people with high medical needs


High School (Grade 12) with a recommended IELTS score of 5.0 (GT) bands is needed. A six months in-class Caregiver program or one year related work experience is also recommended.